In recent months we have seen mango’s stolen, tomatoes and even potatoes dug up. But it got me thinking about the shipping container house communities and the fact these setups would fit neatly on the roof of shipping containers. They do need a bit of rain cover to stop it interfering with the mix of chemicals in the SNAP solution at the same time there is nothing wrong with collecting rainwater to use in the SNAP Hydroponics mixture. Very simple system that can be upscaled to suit anyone’s needs and an ideal starting point for someone wanting to grow at least some of their own food.
Now my big question is this has anyone discovered the mix for SNAP solution? Everyone wants to sell me some but at the same time the formula is going to be a lot more simple than is being made out. Any ideas?
(SNAP Hydroponics uses no electric as it doesn’t need water circulation which makes it more practical for many)
The first photo is actually the last I took the day after, its the stairs after they have been sand blasted and painted. The others are the process at different stages. I had taken the stairs out of the apartment yesterday to get them ready for sand blasting and painting. The sandblaster hadn’t been used in over a year which resulted in it and the compressor having to be cleaned down before I could use them. By the time I had finished that it was already lunchtime and very hot, when I finally did start blasting the rain rolled in to ruin the day. It did only last twenty minutes but it then took another hour for the stairs to dry before I could give them another blast. I had tried to video what I see when sand blasting but it didn’t turn out very well so I just took the photos you see below instead. I did manage to get the stairs painted though but expect they will need touching up by the time they are dropped back into place.
I was hoping to get the wall behind the stairs covered in metal sheeting today but the best I could manage was pre drilling the holes in the sheets, This helps in getting the holes all straight and uniform.
Not everything runs smoothly and having the microwave mounted on its brackets ready to go, plugged it in and nothing! A quick call to Best Buy and a replacement was ordered for next Wednesday giving me two delays on the project as the kitchen cabinet parts are still due from Ikea.
When I thought about tiling myself I wasn’t too keen on doing it even with instruction from a friend who is a tiler. Surprising though once the first one went on everything fell into place and by the following day it was ready to grout. It also depends how fussy you are and how much attention you put into preparation for the grout. I made sure that after tiling the cracks were free of any excess adhesive and that there was none left on the tile faces. Although once done it means you get a really good finish when you grout as there is no residue from the tile fixing to spoil it. Next job shower door and glass.
After nearly a month of rain I am hoping we can get the water and sewer trenches finished as it looks like next week is going to be dry. Then its on to the plumber doing final connections and the home is ready to move in.
These units were provided for Cuffley school in the UK. to add a classroom and music studios to the existing building. The covered walkway is an added feature and one of the reasons I decided to add this to our growing collection of container buildings as here its good for rain but with me out in the Philippines a similar canopy could be used mainly for reducing sunlight on the side of the unit. The vibrant colours also instead of hiding the shipping container building it promotes and uses the walls as a feature giving a happy a bright feel to the buildings obviously inline with their use. Another key factor in this design is the installation time took 1 day no doubt needing a little bit of other work but the main structure was located in a day which in a school building is important in reducing disruption to classes.